PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS OF MARK L. PLOURDE, MAI
Commercial Real Estate Appraiser, Reviewer & Consultant
Maine Valuation Company (MAI/Managing Partner, 1994 – present) Maine Valuation Company is an independent commercial real estate appraisal, review and consulting firm providing a comprehensive range of professional valuation products and services throughout Maine.
Fleet Bank of Maine (Senior Review Appraiser, 1991 – 1994) Responsibilities included technical commercial appraisal reviews for compliance with the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA), the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) and Fleet Financial Group Appraisal Policy & Documentary Standards; quality control of departmental appraisal reviews; management of external appraiser vendor pool; internal collateral evaluation, and consultation on commercial, industrial, and residential real estate located throughout the state of Maine, ranging from $10,000 to $20,000,000 in value. Mark was Appointed Appraisal Department Team Leader and Banking Officer.
Buzzell‑Plourde Associates (Appraiser/Partner, 1987 – 1991) Mark performed commercial, industrial, and multi-family residential appraisal assignments in both narrative and form reports on various property types; conducted extensive market research & due diligence; performed internal residential review function; and appraisal office management.
Appraisal Associates (Staff Appraiser, 1984 – 1987) Mark prepared residential, commercial, and industrial appraisals and conducted market research for appraisal assignments. Maine Valuation Company acquired the assets of Appraisal Associates in March of 1997.
SCOPE OF EXPERIENCE
Numerous appraisals, review & consulting assignments on a variety of property types in Maine, including but not limited to:
- Retail Shopping Centers
- Strip, Neighborhood, Community, Outlet
- Hospitality Properties
- Hotels, Motels, Bed & Breakfast, Inns
- Residential Multi-Family Projects
- Apartment Projects – Market & Subsidized
- Mixed-Use Commercial Properties
- All types of Mixed-Use properties
- Office Buildings
- Medical, Professional; Owner-Occupant, & Investment Grade
- Industrial Properties
- Manufacturing, Warehouse, Distribution, Trucking Terminals, etc.
- Special Purpose Properties
- Self-Storage, Churches, Recreational, Institutional, etc.
- Dealerships, Car Wash, Mini-Lube, etc.
- Independent, Chain, and Franchise
- Land/New Construction
- Lots, Acreage, Development Projects, etc.
CLIENT SERVICES & VALUATION PRODUCTS
The purpose of professional valuation services typically involve purchase and sale agreements, mortgage financing, collateral valuation, estate settlement, mediation/arbitration, valuation of leased fee/leasehold interests, insurable value/ replacement cost studies, feasibility, marketability, and highest and best use analyses for evaluation & planning purposes.
Client services and valuation products consist of Commercial Real Estate Appraisals and Reports; USPAP Standard Rule #3 Appraisal Review Reports; due diligence/research studies; and private consultation. Computer literacy in ARGUS, Word, and Excel, enhances the analytical and reporting service to clients. Professional service has been provided to numerous financial institutions, governmental agencies, insurance companies, corporations, lawyers, estates, and private individuals.
Mark has qualified as an expert witness in Real Estate Valuation in Maine before: the York County Superior Court; the Androscoggin County Superior Court; the Cumberland County Superior Court; and, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maine; the Maine State Claims Commission; and, the Suffolk County Probate and Family Court in Massachusetts. Mark has also testified on numerous occasions as Investigator for the Maine Board of Real Estate Appraisers in professional practice matters.
REAL ESTATE EDUCATION
Mark L. Plourde, MAI, is a cum laude graduate of the University of Southern Maine with a BS degree in Business Administration. He attended the University of Maine at Orono, Portland/Gorham, and Presque Isle for various Journalism, Business, and Real Estate related courses with a focus on real estate valuation, law, and management. A partial list of real estate appraisal courses successfully completed includes:
- An Introduction to Appraising Real Property, Society of Real Estate Appraisers, Course #101
- Applied Residential Property Valuation, Society of Real Estate Appraisers, Course #102
- Principles of Income Property Appraising, Society of Real Estate Appraisers, Course #201
- Applied Income Property Valuation, Society of Real Estate Appraisers, Course #202
- Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice, Appraisal Institute, Courses #410, #420, & #430
- Computer Assisted Investment Analysis, Appraisal Institute, Course #6
- The Comprehensive Appraisal Workshop, Ted Whitmer, MAI, CCIM, J.D., MBA
- Condemnation Appraising: Basic Principals & Applications, Appraisal Institute, Course #710
- Condemnation Appraising: Advanced Topics & Applications, Appraisal Institute, Course #720
Numerous seminars on appraisal methodology, techniques, and regulations have also been attended, such as:
- Financial Calculator Seminar
- Subdivision Analysis
- Understanding Limited Appraisals and Reporting Options
- The Appraisers Complete Review
- The Uniform Commercial and Industrial Appraisal Report
- The Appraiser as an Expert Witness
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- Real Estate Inspections
- Rates, Ratios, and Reasonableness
- Hotel & Motel Valuation
- Special Purpose Properties
- Health Care & Retirement Appraisals
- The Appraisal of Special Use Properties
- The Internet and Appraising
- Detrimental Conditions
- Business Enterprise Valuation
- Easement Valuation
- Appraising Auto Dealership Facilities
- Computer-Enhanced Cash Flow Modeling, AI Course 810
- Attacking & Defending Appraisals in Litigation
- Real Estate Finance, Statistics, and Valuation Modeling, AI Course 5/1654
- Complex Litigation Appraisal Case Studies
- Commercial Bankruptcy, Workouts, and the Valuation Process
- Fundamentals of Separating Real Property, Personal Property, and Intangible Business Assets
- Apartment Appraisal: Concepts and Applications
- Tenant Credit Analysis
- Office Building Valuation: A Contemporary Perspective
- The Appraisal Institute
MAI Member of Appraisal Institute, #10609 (1994+)
Young Advisory Council, Appraisal Institute (1995, 1996)
Regional Ethics and Counseling Panel, Appraisal Institute (1999)
President, State of Maine Chapter of the Appraisal Institute (2000)
Leadership Development and Advisory Council, Appraisal Institute (2000)
Executive Director/Secretary, Maine Chapter of the Appraisal Institute (2007-2008)
- Maine Board of Real Estate Appraisers
Maine Certified General Appraiser, # CG-258 (1991+)
Investigator to the Maine Board of Real Estate Appraisers (1998-2004)
Appraiser Member, Maine Board of Real Estate Appraisers, (2008-2009)
- Maine State Claims Commission
Appraiser Member, State Claims Commission, State of Maine (1998-2002)
PARTIAL CLIENT LIST
AT&T Capital Corporation
BankNorth N.A.Bank of America
Bank of Maine
City of Portland
Eastern Maine Health Care
First Citizen’s Bank
Genest Concrete Co.
|Gorham Savings Bank
Grey Hound Bus Lines Hancock Lumber Company
Kennebunk Land Trust
Maine Coast Heritage Trust
Maine Department of Transportation
|People’s United Bank
Peter B. Sang, P.A.
Saco Biddeford Savings Bank
Skowhegan Savings Bank
The Trust for Public Land
United Kingfield Bank
Wells Fargo Bank