PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS OF CHARLES D. CRAGIN
Real Estate Appraiser
Maine Valuation Company. (Partner, 1995 – present) An independent commercial real estate appraisal, review and consulting firm providing a comprehensive range of professional valuation products and services throughout Maine. Additional responsibilities include consulting forestry services, internal computer applications development, and specialist in electronic data transfer technology. Charles is a principal of the firm and presently manages a satellite office in West Newfield, Maine.
Tierra Company, Inc. (President, 1994 – 1995) Commercial/industrial/timberland appraisal services provided to a mix of finance and private clients. Extensive work carried out in Western Maine, including York, Cumberland and Oxford Counties. Consulting forester services principally oriented toward timber management and reconnaissance timber cruising services. Specialization in the valuation of development rights.
Appraisal Associates (Staff Appraiser, 1984 – 1994) Prepared residential, commercial and industrial appraisals covering a 150 mile radius around Portland, Maine. Responsible for natural resource appraisal assignments, internal computer training and Novell Network administration. Maine Valuation Company acquired the assets of Appraisal Associates in March of 1997.
Eastern Appraisal Company, Inc. (Staff Appraiser, 1974 – 1984) Appraisal of timberland and rural properties of all types, consulting forestry, municipal tax mapping services, municipal property tax assessing throughout Maine and New Hampshire.
SCOPE OF EXPERIENCE
Numerous appraisal assignments have been completed on a variety of property types in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont:
- Retail Shopping Centers Strip, Neighborhood, Community, Outlet;
- Hospitality Properties Hotels, Motels, Bed & Breakfast, Inns;
- Residential Multi-Family Projects Apartment Projects;
- Mixed-Use Commercial Properties All types of Mixed-Use properties;
- Office Buildings Medical, Professional; Owner-Occupant & Investment Grade;
- Industrial Properties Manufacturing, Warehouse, Distribution, Trucking Terminals, etc;
- Special Purpose Properties Self-Storage, Churches, Recreational, Institutional, etc;
- Elderly Care Facilities Nursing Homes;
- Automotive Dealerships, Car Wash, Auto Service;
- Restaurants Independent, Chain, and Franchise;
- Land/New Construction Lots, Acreage, Subdivisions, Development Projects
CLIENT SERVICES & VALUATION PRODUCTS
The purpose of valuation services typically involves: purchase and sale agreements; mortgage financing; collateral evaluation; estate settlement; ad valorem taxation; mediation/arbitration; valuation of leased fee/leasehold interests; insurable value/ replacement cost studies; feasibility, marketability, and highest and best use analyses for evaluation & planning purposes.
Client services and valuation products consist of Commercial Appraisals and Reports; Market Studies and private consultation. Computer literacy in File Maker Pro, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint enhances the analytical and reporting service to clients. Professional service has been provided to financial institutions, government agencies, corporations, attorneys and private individuals.
Charles D. Cragin has qualified as an expert witness in real estate valuation before Superior Court, York County, Maine; U.S. District Court, Portland, Maine and U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Portland, Maine.
REAL ESTATE EDUCATION
Graduate of the University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire with a B.S. degree in Forest Management. Associate in Applied Science, Thompson School of Agriculture, University of New Hampshire. Real estate appraisal courses successfully completed to date include:
- Real Estate Appraisal Principles, American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers, Course #1A1
- Basic Valuation Procedures, American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers, Course #1A2
- Valuation of Income Producing Properties, American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers, Courses #1B1 1B3
- Case Studies, American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers, Course #2-1
- Valuation Analysis and Report Writing, American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers, Course #2-2
- Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice, Appraisal Institute, Courses SPP – Parts A & B
- Appraisal of Conservation Easements
- Understanding Limited Appraisals and Reporting Options
- The Uniform Commercial and Industrial Appraisal Report
- Appraisal of Forestland
- Government Regulations
- Remote Sensing/Geographic Information Systems
- Maine Certified General Appraiser, #CG248
- Formerly a Maine Licensed Professional Forester